One-year-old Naeemah Drammeh and her sister Fatimah, aged three, were killed in Sunday’s fire. Their mother, Fatoumatta Hydara, aged 28, had been placed on a life support machine after the blaze, but died on Tuesday morning, police say.
Two children killed in a Nottinghamshire flat fire have been named by police as they said their mother has also died.
Naeemah Drammeh, aged one, and three-year-old sister Fatimah, were taken to Queen’s Medical Centre along with their mother after the blaze in Fairisle Close, Clifton, in the early hours of Sunday.
The sisters were pronounced dead at the hospital.
Nottinghamshire Police said their mother Fatoumatta Hydara, aged 28, had been placed on a life support machine, but died on Tuesday morning.
Sky’s Midlands correspondent Becky Johnson, speaking from the scene of the fire, said the children’s father had been away in America at the time of the blaze.
“He was actually here yesterday,” she said. “He had boarded a plane as soon as he could to get back, having heard this dreadful news.
“He was shell-shocked when he was here and was on his way to the hospital to be at his wife’s bedside – so desperately sad for him now, not only having to cope with the loss of his two young children, but also the loss of his wife.”
A triple murder inquiry is under way after a joint fire and police investigation.
A 31-year-old man from Clifton was arrested on Sunday night on suspicion of murder.
Detectives have been given more time to question him, and he remains in custody.
Detective Chief Inspector Mark Sinski, who is leading the investigation, said: “We are dealing with one of the most horrendous crimes – the death of two young children and their mother.
“This is a deeply upsetting tragedy and I can only imagine the family’s pain. They include the woman’s husband and the father of the two children, who was not in the UK at the time of the fire.”
He added: “A large team of detectives has been working long days and nights to investigate the circumstances surrounding this tragic incident.”
The fire, which started at around 3.17am, was extinguished at around 4am.
Neighbouring properties were temporarily evacuated during the incident.