Inner City Baptist Church is preparing to move to a new downtown San Diego site, 505 13th Ave.
Inner City Baptist Church was once a part of First Baptist Church of San Diego, the first Protestant church in San Diego founded in 1869. First Baptist built the facility at 930 Tenth Ave. in 1931 and in 1991 Inner City Baptist was established as a sister church to First Baptist to keep the ministry alive in the inner city area. First Baptist had located in University City on Governor Drive in 1982 and this month celebrates its 128th anniversary. First Baptist is also about to break ground on a new $1.6 million sanctuary on the same Governor Drive property.
The downtown property on Tenth Avenue, meanwhile, was sold by First Baptist about a year ago to a group of investors who have other plans for the building.
The last official services at Draper Chapel were scheduled for Oct. 26. On Sunday, Nov. 2, at 8:30 a.m. the church is holding a Decommissioning Ceremony for the Draper Chapel building on Tenth Avenue and at about 9 a.m., the congregation will march to its new site. For more information about the church, call (619) 239-8104.